Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Fourth of July

So I'm all caught up on blog posts. I am working on a current day's post now. It feels nice. I really have to get away from this faux time-stamping thing I've got myself hooked on now. LOL.

Anyway, today is the Fourth of July. Even though I'm Canadian, I love the fourth of July. I wish I lived in a border town on day's like today. Then I could see the fireworks. Americans always do them so much better than Canadians.

Maybe it's because of the American's usual excess pride in themselves. But it seems like the Fourth of July (from what little I've seen) is always done like 3 times better than Canada Day. The fireworks, the bunting (I love the bunting).

Everything. Symphony with the Pops. It's just such an extravaganza. I haven't turned on the tv. (I'm not much for it anymore) so I haven't seen any of the events today but I probably will get my little fix before the day is out.

So, what do you think? Do the American's really do that much better a job of celebrating their day than we (and possibly most if not all other countries) do of celebrating ours? If so, why do you think that is?

Carmen

P.S. I just started a newly published (year old) book on the July 4th weekend that is sort of applicable to the holiday. It is a book by the great American consumer advocate Ralph Nader that is called "Only The Super-Rich Can Save Us".

It is his first work of fiction. It is incredible. In basically 1 sitting I read 312 pages of the 733 total pages. It's long but so far it is very good. I encourage you all to read it. I will probably review it soon.

1 comment:

  1. In my country, we have at least two days (and up to five, it depends on the calendar) to celebrate our independence dayS.
    This year, due to the Bicentennial aniversary, we'll have FOUR days.

    FJ.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a nice comment. I l-o-v-e comments. Thank you. The Management!