Sunday, May 9, 2010

I Am A Tea Partier

Happy Mother's Day everyone. Just got back from my oldest sister's place where most of the family went for Mother's Day. Today we (the royal we - lol) are going to talk about how I spent part of the Mother's Day weekend. I became a tea partier yet again.

No not that kind of tea partier. For the third year in a row, my mother has bought tickets and taken my two older sisters and myself to the Third Annual High Tea held by her church (a United Church congregation). We have gone every year since it started.

It is a nice little fundraiser for the church that has very good attendance. As the "M.C" of the event always notes at the beginning of the event, it is attended by ladies (and a few odd - well not exactly odd, lol - gentlemen) from not only their church but several other churches around the city and members of the neighborhood/community at large.

The "M.C" has the attendees from the various churches that have bought tickets to raise their hands when she calls out their church and there are a good five or so usually mentioned. As for the aforementioned men, there was about eight there this year by my count (including the young man who provided the piano music that provided the entertainment). There is also a contingent of "Red Hat Society" ladies who fill up one full table each year.

The menu includes "fancy, shmancy" little sandwiches with the crusts cut off. Some are layered, many are rolled. All are very cute. A few are even tasty. LOL. There is also scones with clotted cream and jam. I must say that I am definitely not a fan of clotted cream. In addition, they serve both white and dark chocolate-dipped strawberries and a variety of little pastries - my favorite, the chocolate-dipped shortbread "rounds" (which are actually not round at all - lol).

Even though this event takes place the Saturday before Mother's Day (that is to say, the day before) my mom always takes me and my sisters. It is the one time of the year when both my sisters, myself and my mom are all together. All in all, a very nice day and, I guess, a new tradition.

I mention "High Tea" at Beverly United because, other than the fact that it is, as I said, a nice new tradition in my family (and one of the few we have) it kind of "dove-tails" with my previous "Vanderbilt post". Basically, I am now part of the "hoi-polloi" who goes to High Tea, etc. LOL.

Anyway, I hope everyone else had a wonderful Mother's Day. If you would care to, feel free to post about your Mother's Day celebrations/traditions in the comments section. I look forward to hearing from my regular commenters and maybe some newbies.

Carmen

3 comments:

  1. I was at the church last Saturday too! ...but in another activity (supporting young couples who want to be married this year).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is clotted cream like cottage cheese? Sorry, the rest of the post was interesting as well. I like to learn about other cultural traditions even though our countries are pretty much the same, only yours talks funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FJ - Congratulations on the speaking engagement.

    Spin (Mark) - clotted cream is more like whipping cream only it tastes funny.

    And not only do we not talk funny - you do!, you look funny too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a nice comment. I l-o-v-e comments. Thank you. The Management!