Monday, May 17, 2010

"Are You My Stalin?"

Yesterday I went to a "meetup" at the Second Cup with someone I met on-line. It wasn't a bad first meeting but I was a little disappointed that there weren't more people from the on-line group that the two of us there were a part of. Nevertheless, it was nice to meet the one person, A.J., that I did. This is not, however, what this post is about. Just a little introduction to how my Sunday went and what led to what followed, which is the subject of this post.

After the meetup, which started at 4:00pm and lasted until almost exactly 5:00pm (though it wasn't on a schedule - it just happened that way), I decided to go to a movie and, likely, dinner because I was between screenings. So, after an ok dinner at the Elephant and Castle that is right next to the theatre, I saw the Canadian movie out of Montreal (I can't believe I'd like something like that! LOL) - The Trotsky.

I will attempt to give you a little preview of the movie without spoiling it for anyone who would like to see it for themselves. The summary is as follows: a young anglo Montrealer named Leon Bronstein thinks he is the modern-day re-incarnation of Soviet revolutionary Leon Trotsky. Complete to the end, ice-pick and all.

The movie stars a young actor named Jay Baruchel who has apparently been in a few other movies so far. There are also some name actors/actresses in the cast... Genevieve Bujold, Colm Feore, Saul Rubinek and Michael Murphy. The last of which is recognizable by face if not by name and has apparently, according to imdb.com been in the largest number of Robert Altman movies of any actor. The leading lady in this movie is an actress named Emily Hampshire. She has been in several Canadian movies/T.V. shows since 1996.

The title of this post comes from a line in the movie which was kind of funny. The title character spends his time plotting out how to live his life as much like the original Trotsky as possible and looks for his revolutionary counterparts like Lenin for instance at various times in the movie. I must say, I thought it was an interesting premise but was worried that it wouldn't live up to it and would be a disappointment. And while I agree with a poster on imdb that it ended up being a bit "by the numbers" it certainly kept my interest and despite the somewhat silly subject matter managed to come off as fairly believable - that is, I had no problem with my "suspension of disbelief".

I actually had a choice of two movies to see when I checked out the offerings that night. The other was Letters To Juliet with Amanda Seyfried and Vanessa Redgrave. That I picked this movie over a romantic comedy says a lot for the premise, I think.

In short, see this movie for yourself. I definitely recommend it. And if you do see it yourself (and if you want to - go soon, as it is Canadian and a film fest film so it probably won't be in theatres for long!) leave a comment on what you thought about it.

2 comments:

  1. I will try to see it. I was looking for something to go see while the boys are watching Ironman 2. I think that is something I would enjoy. Thanks C.A.T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to be an interesting movie. But I'm not sure if it will be available at theatres here. I'll check it.

    FJ.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a nice comment. I l-o-v-e comments. Thank you. The Management!